Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and Text Opt-Ins
NEW: Don't miss out on school messages!
Due to federal legislation (Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, or CASL), parents/guardians need to subscribe if you want to continue receiving commercial electronic messages from your child’s school and the Calgary Board of Education. These include messages on school topics such as picture days, student fees, field trip costs, yearbooks, fun lunches, fundraisers and more.
In addition, if you want to receive any text messages your school may send, including non-commercial messages, you also need to opt-in for texts.
To ensure you can receive messages from the Calgary Board of Education and our schools, please:
||To subscribe to receive commercial electronic messages, go to www.cbe.ab.ca/subscribe to enter your email address and click Subscribe. Please enter the same email address where you receive other school messages and that you use to log into MyCBE, if applicable. (Note: the link will open outside of CBE's website.)|
In addition, to opt-in to receive any text messages, use your cell phone to text the word YES to the six-digit number 724665.
If your contact information changes or needs updating, please:
- Tell your school
- Subscribe online again, if your email address changes
- Opt-in for text messages again, if your cell number changes
For more information, view our Questions and Answers or visit the government’s CASL website, fightspam.gc.ca.
- Your subscription and opt-in will apply to any Calgary Board of Education school that your children attend; however, if you provided different contact information to different schools, you will need to subscribe and opt-in for every email address and cell number.
- Starting Oct. 1, 2016, if you have not subscribed for commercial messages, you will no longer receive electronic messages on commercial school topics. You will continue to receive email messages on non-commercial topics such as absence and emergency notifications.
- Your subscription and opt-in will continue indefinitely unless you withdraw your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time. To unsubscribe for commercial email and text messages go to www.cbe.ab.ca/unsubscribe. To opt-out of receiving any text messages, text the word STOP to the six-digit number 724665.
*There is no extra cost to receive SMS messages from the CBE, but standard message rates and data charges from your carrier apply when you receive messages from us. Check with your carrier if you have questions about your plan and costs.