Specialized transportation (small yellow school bus) is available to students who:
- Attend their designated school for their specialized program, system class, or unique setting, and
- Are assigned to specialized transportation as their mode; or
- Students with mobility challenges who have been assigned to specialized transportation
Many students from Grade 7 to 12 who are in specialized programs are designated to
Payment in Lieu of Transportation
The Manager of Transportation and families can enter into an agreement for payment in lieu of specialized transportation. This means that families receive a daily rate based on distance travelled while their child is in the vehicle, to and from school. If families are interested, they can contact
Families register for specialized transportation using
MyCBE, every school year. The deadline for pre-registration was June 8, 2022. Transportation continues to accept registrations after the deadline, and students are added to the closest existing stop with space, within the distance guideline. Processing times could be up to 6 weeks at the beginning of the school year due to volume.
Paper forms are also available on
Forms You Need.
Alternate addresses are accommodated on specialized transportation routes when the run has the time to accommodate the alternate address.
ZPass cards are issued to registered riders who are new to specialized transportation.
The ZPass only has your child's CBE Student ID number (CBE ID) for privacy and security. Please do not add personal identifying information like a name.
Do not punch holes in the ZPass, as it will render the card unreadable.
- Students scan their ZPass using an electronic card reader installed on the bus every time they get on and off the bus.
- If a student forgets a ZPass, they should notify the driver; they will still be able to ride the bus.
- If a student loses a ZPass, parents are must request a replacement pass through
- Please note that ZPass cards are not printed after May long weekend.
- ZPass cards are meant to be
multi-year and should be kept for reuse, even if transportation is cancelled for a period of time.
Students who receive curb-to-curb specialized transportation service are exempt from using the ZPass card.
Service Levels and Fees for 2022-23
Service levels vary based on the program a students attends, their grade level, the student’s individual abilities, and available modes of transportation.
| Service Level
A bus stop is located as close to the home as possible.
A bus stop is located within 1 km of the home address.
A bus stop is located within 1.6 km for elementary schools and 1.8 km for middle and junior high schools.
A trip plan exists that is around an hour and no more than one bus transfer.
Students assigned to specialized transportation (small yellow school bus) are not required to pay a fee.
Sibling Conditional Ridership
Sibling conditional ridership may be available to students who:
- are not designated to specialized transportation;
- have a sibling who utilizes specialized transportation; and
- attend the same school as the sibling
Sibling conditional ridership:
- is not guaranteed;
- must be applied for every year using
- must be approved by Transportation Services before the service is used;
- has an annual fee families must pay;
- is offered on a first come, first served basis;
- means student must access an existing stop; and
- is granted based on the above criteria; should routes change or if eligible students are added to a route and the bus becomes overcrowded, sibling conditional riders may be removed to accommodate these changes
Parents must have alternate transportation arrangements in place in case approval is not received before the start of the school year, in case the registration is not approved, and/or in case the sibling conditional rider status is removed. This is a set fee for the school year that is not adjusted based on actual usage
$232.50 $186 (1-way)
Bus Routes and Stops
Bus route, stop location and stop time information are available through
MyCBE to registered students who have been added to a route.
Preparing for Riding the Bus
The bus stop time provided is the departure time. Have the student prepared for pick up five minutes before the scheduled departure time, ensuring that they:
- have been to the washroom;
- are wearing appropriate outdoor clothing (and harness if required); and
- are at the stop location outside
Please ensure sidewalks are clear so that the student can maneuver as needed.
After a bus has waited one minute at a curb to curb stop with no passenger present or contact made, the driver will continue on their route. Drivers will not be sent back once they have left the stop.
If the stop is a corner stop (up to 1 km from home) or general transportation, and there is no student at the bus stop for pick up, the bus will leave the stop at the departure time listed on the route. The bus will not wait past the departure time or return to the stop after they have left. We recommend families to be at the bus stop 5 minutes before the departure time.
Student Absence Notification
When families know their child will not use specialized transportation or taxi service for any period of time, they must notify the service provider as soon as possible. After a school bus stop has not been used for three weeks, it will be removed from the route. After three occurrences of an unreported student absence from taxi transportation, service will be suspended until contact is made with CBE Transportation. Please note, consistent unreported absences, specific to taxis, may result in the cancellation of the taxi.
In general, ride times are an hour or less each way. Due to the distance some students must travel to specialized programs, ride times may be longer in some cases.
Bus Route and Stop Changes
Bus routes are developed using pre-registrations received by the deadline. Bus routes and stops are subject to change throughout the school year and between school years. To request a change, parents/guardians can complete a Bus Stop Change Request Form available through
MyCBE. As a reminder, families are responsible for student safety to, from, and at the bus stop. A bus stop change will not be considered based on the path students use to get to or from a bus stop, including any road crossings. Please note, drivers may not change a stop location. All requests must come through CBE Transportation.
Southland uses a bus route monitoring app called MyBusStop for all Southland Transportation routes. You can use the mobile and web application GPS tracking service to see real-time information and route delays.
- School codes change each school year and will be provided to families before the start of the school year through
- Families can visit
www.mybusstop.ca to register and create an account
- Once registered, the app can be used
Questions regarding registration or use of the app can be forwarded to
All other service providers will call families whenever there is a delay.
As a reminder of winter weather, please plan ahead for
using transportation in cold weather.
First Student uses a website to post delays.
Requests are completed through
MyCBE. Cancellations must be received within 30 days of the last day service was used. Please keep the ZPass card for future use.