Transportation Family Checklist
Families are encouraged to review this check list to be prepared to for using transportation every school day and throughout the school year.
Before Leaving Home
- My child is dressed appropriately for the weather and the forecast for the day
- I have checked for bus delays online or on my service provider’s app
- My child understands what to do if the bus is late or does not arrive
- My child has any medication they need and understands what to do if they need to use the medication. Bus drivers and attendants do not administer medication.
- I have checked any specalized equipment used by my child, such as a wheelchair, walker, etc. and it is in good working order (if applicable)
Traveling To and From the Bus Stop
- I understand that I am responsible for my child’s safety traveling to and from the bus stop, as well as when they are at the bus stop
- My child knows how to recognize the bus stop and find their way home
- My child will arrive a the bus stop five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive
- We will obey all traffic safety rules and will cross streets only at intersection and when it is safe to do so
- My child knows what to do if there is no one at the stop to meet them or no one home at the end of the day
At the Bus Stop
- My child will stand and wait at least 2 metres away from the curb
- We will respect private property and neighbours around the stop
- If I am driving, I will not park or leave my vehicle in the bus loading zone or within 5 m of a crosswalk, stop or yield sign
- My child will follow the driver’s instructions for boarding and exiting the bus
- For kindergarten student only: I understand that kindergarten students must be met at the bus door. My kindergarten child will stay on the bus until they see a parent or caregiver at the bus door. I understand that if no adult is there to meet my child they may be returned to the school and I will need to make arrangements to pick them up as soon as possible.
- For students using specialized transportation where the family has indicated the student will be met at the bus stop in the afternoon only: I understand that my child must be met at the bus door. My child will stay on the bus until they see a parent, guardian or caregiver at the bus door. I understand that if no adult is there to meet my child they may be returned to the school and I will need to make arrangements to pick them up as soon as possible.
On the Bus
- My child will sit in their assigned seat
- My child will follow the
school bus rules, including not bringing restricted items on the bus
- My child knows what to do if they have missed their bus stop or they are on the wrong bus
Getting Ready for the Next School Year
- I will register for school bus transportation by the deadline. Transportation registration typically opens in May for the next school year. Register by the deadline to ensure you have transportation for the first day of school.
- I will consider signing-up for new school bus riders for the
My First Ride program
Before School Starts
- I will check MyCBE for my bus route and stop in mid-August
- I will review the
school bus rules and
general transportation information on the website with my family
- My family will practice walking to and from the bus stop so my child knows the way
- I will make child-care arrangements for times the bus is delayed or canceled