Q. Why do we charge fees in a public education system?
Fees are charged to cover the gap between the cost of programs and services and the funding provided by the province.
Q. I can’t afford to pay the fees all at once. What options do I have to pay these fees?
The CBE provides parents with flexible payment options, including:
- Online | 4-6 weeks after registration for transportation and/or noon supervision using VISA, MasterCard, VISA Debit or Interac Online. Payment, either lump sum or monthly installments, can be made at MyCBE/PowerSchool.
- Cheque | full year payment. Please make cheque payable to The Calgary Board of Education, and return to the school or mail to Calgary Board of Education, Attention: Student Fees, 1221 - 8 Street SW, Calgary AB T24 0L4. The cheque must be include the student’s name, CBE ID number and be attached to a registration form.
- Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) | (available for Noon Supervision and Transportation Fees only) either two or 10 equal payments. This can be arranged using your MyCBE/PowerSchool account.^
Q. How can I register for noon supervision or bus transportation?
Parents/guardians have the option to register online for noon supervision and yellow school bus transportation for regular or alternative programs. Online registration using MyCBE/PowerSchool is the simplest and most convenient way to register for noon supervision and transportation services.
Online registration and fee payment is ongoing. Paper forms, found at www.cbe.ab.ca/forms, can be mailed throughout the summer to Calgary Board of Education, Attention: Student Fees, 1221 - 8 Street SW, Calgary AB T24 0L4.^
Q. When do I need to pay my fees?
Fees are due starting in September. Payment of school fees can be made online using your MyCBE/PowerSchool account 4-6 weeks after online registration. Please make cheques payable to The Calgary Board of Education and return to the school or mail to Calgary Board of Education, Attention: Student Fees, 1221 - 8 Street SW, Calgary AB T24 0L4. The cheque must be dated for Sept. 1, 2018 and if not attached to the form and include the student’s name and CBE ID number.^
Q. What happens if I cannot afford the fees?
No child is ever denied access to an education in the CBE because of an inability to pay. There are several ways to be considered eligible for a waiver, including but not limited to:
- you receive assistance from Provincial Social Services;
- your family is eligible for the Alberta Child Health Benefit;
- you are a Government Sponsored Conventional Refugee;
- you have been approved by the City of Calgary's Fair Entry Program;
- your do not have the documents listed above but have a low income and Treaty Status; or
- you are an independent student living away from home.
Applications can be made online at MyCBE/PowerSchool or are available on the CBE website at www.cbe.ab.ca/forms.
If your application for a waiver is denied, you may declare a hardship to your school principal. The school will work with you to either come up with a manageable payment schedule or waive part or all of your fees.^
Q. Does the CBE use collection agencies?
If CBE efforts to collect fees fail, our last resort is sending the account to a collection agency. If you use a CBE program or service, our policy is to charge you for that program or service. If you cannot afford the fees, there are several ways that the fees can be waived. Fees are only sent to collection if families have not declared a financial hardship for services they use and after every reasonable attempt has been made to settle the amount owing. No outstanding balances are sent to collections until after at least 2 invoices are sent and 180 days have elapsed. Our policies require us to work to collect fees owing from any source. Again, no child is ever denied access to CBE programs or services because of an inability to pay.^
Q. What if I received a collection notice in error?
If there has been an error, please contact our Finance Department immediately at 403-817-7888, or email email@example.com. We will work with you to correct the error as soon as possible.