Building & Modernizing Schools
Criteria for School Capital Planning Priorities
Each year, school boards submit a Three-Year School Capital Plan to Alberta Education by April 1. The Calgary Board of Education doesn’t decide when new schools are built. The Provincial Government determines where, when and how new schools are built.
The Calgary Board of Education’s
Three-Year School Capital Planrequests new construction and major modernization projects from the Provincial Government. This plan identifies a single prioritized capital list consisting of both new school construction and major modernization requests, as required by Alberta Education. The plan identifies priorities for new school construction and major modernizations based on criteria approved by the Board of Trustees. The criteria is detailed in the capital plan.
- Preschool population numbers
- K-9 enrolment in CBE schools
- Projected five-year city sector population growth
- Median travel time (new formula takes in to account travel time and distance of overflow school to the community
- Number of bus receiver schools required for the community
- Existing K-4 or starter school approved or in existence
- Greater than 2 transition points between kindergarten and Grade 9
- System programming needs (35 points)
- Current enrolment and utilization, five-year projected enrolment and accommodation plan (10 points)
- Site features and location (10 points)
- Facility condition/needs (25 points)
|Senior high schools will continue to be placed in the priority ranking based on a recommendation by CBE administration based on future needs determined by demographic information.
- Is the school over or projected to be over 90% in the next 3 years?
- Is the accommodation challenge due to out-of-boundary students?
- Does the school accommodate students from a community that is approved for a new school?
- Is the school a starter school?
- Is there a school in an adjacent community that can accommodate the students in the long-term?
- Will the addition of modular classrooms accommodate projected enrolment for the next 3-5 years?
- Can the school site accommodate additional modular classrooms?
If the school does not meet any of these filters, the school will not proceed to the ranking process.