Skip Navigation LinksCBE HomeNew to Canada

New to Canada

New to Canada Welcome


​Information for Non-Canadian Students and Newcomers

The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) is Calgary’s public school system. We welcome all children and youth to our schools. Our schools are welcoming, safe and caring environments where students will learn, make new friends, and discover their talents and interests.

Register your Child for School

Children who are NOT Canadian citizens must register at the Admissions and Assessment Office at Kingsland Centre (7430 – 5 Street S.W. – map), even if they have attended school elsewhere in Canada.

  • Landed immigrants (Permanent Residents)
  • Refugees
  • Children of individuals who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence, or non-residents (parents on work or study permits)
  • Non-Canadian children of Canadian citizens/Permanent Residents
  • International fee-paying students who are approved by the CBE’s Global Learning

You need to have an appointment before registering at the Admissions and Assessment Office. You can make an appointment by calling 403-777-7373 (and then press 1).  

The office is open for registration year-round, except for a short period from late June until mid-July. Many new families arrive during the summer, so if you are registering during this time, please make an appointment as early as possible.  

Interpreters are available to assist at this appointment. We have more than 132 interpreters who provide interpretation and translation support in 41 languages. There is no cost to families for language interpretation services.

  • If necessary, an English language assessment will be done to determine your child’s English skills. This assessment may take two hours to complete.

Documents Required to Register

To register, you will need to provide legal proof of your child’s name, date of birth, and citizenship status in Canada. The following documents are acceptable:

  • Permanent resident card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Record of Landing
  • Parent’s valid Work Permit or Study Permit
  • Student’s Study Permit (International students)

If you are in Canada on a Work or Study Permit you must bring

  • Child’s proof of age and legal name (birth certificate or passport); and
  • Proof of your address (driver’s license, offer to purchase, offer to lease/rent or utility bill).

If you are on a Study Permit, inquire about additional documentation required.

English Language Assessment

All students new to the CBE in Grades 1 to 12 who are NOT Canadian citizens and speak a language other than English at home will complete an English Language Proficiency Assessment during the appointment to register at Kingsland Centre.
Students will be assessed on their ability to:

  • speak
  • read
  • write
  • understand English

Your child’s school can appropriately support your child’s English language learning needs based on the results of the assessment.

If your child is a Canadian citizen and/or if your child is in Kindergarten, the English Language proficiency assessment is done by the staff at the school.

English Language Learning for Adult Immigrants

Chinook Learning Services offers Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC).

LINC is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and provides free English language instruction to adult immigrants. The curriculum includes information that teaches newcomers about the Canadian way of life and helps them integrate into Canadian society.

 Contact Us

Kingsland Centre
7430 – 5 Street SW
t | 403-777-7373


Student and interpreter

Last modified: 6/26/2019 1:22 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster